A Little Bit About Us

Our goal is to make affordable, delicious, healthy food that nourishes our souls as well as our bodies. We love new flavors as well as old favorites. It's important, for us, not to place too many restrictions and be as free and simple as we can when it comes to our food. We have no fancy equipment or expensive gadgets (although when we're wrestling with our dinosaur blender/smoothie maker we have both thought how nice it'd be to have a functioning one.. lol). We love each other more than anything and making food together is rewarding on every level.

Thursday 6 November 2014

Peanut Butter Banana Bread!

Peanut Butter Banana Bread!




This is a lovely fall bread.  Bananas, nuts, and a hint of coconut-- it's just perfect for fall.  I came across the original recipe in a book simply called The Vegan Cookbook, written by Adele McConnell.  I hadn't read anything of hers before, but the beautiful salad on the front cover caught my eye and, hey, I'm always in the market for yummy yummy vegan recipes.  This is her website and I'm already rifling through her recipes lining them up ready to try :)  

I am thrilled to share this with you, because it turned out so good.  I worry about breads because I tend to end up with a chewy, or rubbery consistency, and this recipe was so not that.  As you can tell in the pictures, there's a nice crumb, and the bread is fluffy and moist, almost cake-like.  I imagine you could serve it with some fruit, maple syrup, vegan butter, or a lovely jam.  The possibilities are endless!

I changed the recipe to suit what I had on hand, and my personal taste, but I recommend her book!  Just a quick note, I used peanut butter because I had some, but any nut butter could probably be swapped in.


Peanut Butter & Banana Bread (Adapted from The Vegan Cookbook, by Adele McConnell)

2 cups wholemeal flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
4 overripe bananas
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup peanut butter (I SO wanted to use almond butter because I love it, but I was completely out when I looked in the cupboards, gonna try that next time :)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare (grease and flour) your pan, a standard loaf pan (9x4 in) would work nicely, but I don't have one, so I used the round one shown in the picture.

2)  In a medium sized bowl, mix together with a fork the flour and baking powder.

3)  In a separate large sized bowl, mix the mix the bananas with the milk, vanilla, nut butter, oil, and cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves.  Combine until smooth.

4)  Gently fold the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, just until combined, being careful not to overmix (this is what ruins bread/cake batters!).

5)  Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan, and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until inserted skewer comes out clean.  I imagine if you're using a loaf pan it could could take a bit longer, just keep an eye on it to avoid overbaking.

Hope you give it a try and that you love it as much as my family and I did! 

Lots of love to you all <3





No comments:

Post a Comment